From Portland to Korea and back...

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Snowboarding at Muju

Here are the pics I promised. I really miss mt hood! Snowboarding/ Skiing in Korea is like a death wish. These are pics from the top of the lift.








First of all, the weekend I decided to go was complete crap and the good runs were all really icy. I'm talking weird icy too, like extremely large rocks of ice. So I decided I take a few runs down the leisurely route to warm up and practice carving. Well, I basically almost died like 12 times. Plus this chick ate it right in front of me so before I even had the chance to stop I rammed her in the back with my board. Of course I felt horrible because I'm a normal person. So I tried to apologize in the best Korean I could and all I got was this girl looking at me like I was crazy and an "ok." Yea well karma came back around on the next run when I was fully taken out by some jackass on skis. So that was sweet...and then the guy kept right on going...probably on his way to take out the next unsuspecting victim. I guess it's just the culture, no need to apologize just get the hell out of the way.

The mountain was also super packed, hence all the people running into each other because they all suck. It was fun and first dodging all the beginners, at least until I realized they are completely unpredictable and WILL continually run into you.

Overall it was a fun day though...lol. A really nice Korean guy who had lived in Australia helped with all my rented gear after they screwed up my ticket... apparently trying to explain, "you gave me a ticket for skiing and I want to go snowboarding" is beyond my Korean vocabulary at this point..haha. Plus I got to feel like a celebrity at the top with random strangers wanting to take pictures with me because I'm a white girl with blond hair.

No comments: